Wednesday, October 17, 2012

What's Cookin' Wednesday: Stew is the thing

The cooler weather just sings soup and all things starchy and roasted. Monday nights dinner was a light beef root veggie stew with homemade beef broth.  Stephen helped me with it before he headed into the office on Monday.  We used Julian Child'' directions.  I didn't cook the broth down since I wanted a broth rather than a glaze.


IMG_1822

Luscious Light Beef Stew

About 1 lb stew beef -  Browned in my pressure cooker then filled the bottom with beef broth and cooked for 12 minutes at high pressure.  I ended up using only half that amount because my soup bone was quite meaty.

1 large rutabaga cubed
1 large leek chopped
4 garlic cloves chopped
1 large sweet potato cubed
1 pablano pepper chopped
2 ribs of celery chopped
6 cups beef broth

Add some oil or ghee to the pan ans saute the leeks, celery for a bit then add the garlic and peppers.  After a bit add the the other veggies and cook a bit more.  Add the beef and top it off with about 6 cup beef broth.

Heat to a simmer for 20 minutes or until the veggies are tender.  When done add more broth if you want a lighter soup.  I added about 3 more ladles of broth.
Serve with a salad or roasted veggies.  I had roasted brussel sprouts and carrots.









No comments:

Post a Comment