Friday, August 3, 2007

A Book Review: The Gaurdians

I'm finding it hard to do book reviews lately. Some people don't want a story line summary because those are all over on the web but some people do want that. Some don't want spoilers but sometimes it's helpful to share a bit of the story. So what's a gal to do? I think I will ignore it all and do my own thing except I will do my best not to give any spoilers but no guarantees, 'kay?

The Guardians by Ana Castillo describes the hard times of Mexican migrant workers and the Mexican American's living in a border town in New Mexico. The book starts our very slow to me. This might not be a fair assessment considering I read this after reading The Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling. Surprise, surprise there was a Harry Potter reference in the book and a reference to Garcia Marquez which doesn't seem as surprising.

Despite the fact that it started out slow after I got to know the characters of the book I enjoyed the story. There is a deep sadness that runs through the book. Underneath it is a sense of hope and love as well. The story touches on race, love, religion, politics, the history of Mexico, and life in general in a very real way. I recommend it.

Oh yeah, This was another free early review book I got from the Early Reviewer program on Library Thing. Maybe I have a chance at winning the lottery? I could use a few $100,000 but I wouldn't refuse a good mil' either.

No comments:

Post a Comment