Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Snack Time Crunch Time

I keep finding yummy things to make and share so I think I'll starting posting some Foodie Friday on Wednesday too.  I don't want anyone to miss out on the local farmers market bounty.

One of the things I like about about corn chips, pita chips, or wasabi peas are the crunch. Since I am abstaining from them at the moment I've been craving something to crunch and for some reason nuts and seeds just don't do it for me.   So when this buzzfeed link, 25 Baked Alternatives To Potato Chips And French Fries went across my facebook feed I had to take a look.  It was the answers to my crunchy craving.  So today I made kale chips and some zucchini chips too. 

The kale chips I cooked in my lower oven at 325 deg which is both convection and regular oven.  A fan goes on when it's just in the regular oven mode.  I think having that air circulation helped these crisp up.  I wonder if using convection would do even better?  I'm getting ahead of myself. 

I washed and veined the kale as a friend of mine said she found the veins didn't get very crispy.  Patted them dry and tossed them with some olive oil, salt, and garlic powder.  Basically cook until crisp.  I checked on mine every 5 minutes or so. They took about 10 plus minutes.

IMG_1619

I tried this zucchini chip recipe.  As the recipe suggested do go light on the spices since the slices shrink quite a bit so it gets very concentrated.  So next time I plan to spice them near the end of the cooking to see if that helps. You cook these slowly at 225 deg for about an hour so plan ahead if you want some. 

These veggies chips are just the tip of the iceberg.  I can't wait to try some winter squash chips and maybe some beet chips too.  I'm not a beet fan.  Beets are so beety. I'm sure for a treat I'd love the ones here covered in bacon!

No comments:

Post a Comment