Friday, January 20, 2006

Time Together

The kids take turns going shopping with either Dad or me. It's easier to shop with just one of the kids and it a wonderful opportunity to get some one on one time doing something that needs to be done.

This Sunday was Corbin’s turn to go shopping and he wanted to go shopping with me. I was actually surprised he wanted me because he seems to prefer Dad time to Mom time lately. (I was a little disappointed because if he had gone with his Dad I would have more crochet time.) I’m so glad he did because we had a wonderful time.

As soon as we got in the car Corbin started talking about Shadow Raphael, his imaginary friend, who was in the back seat. Shadow's name is inspired buy one of Corbin’s favorite Gamecube games Shadow the Hedge Hog and Raphael from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Shadow gets $1000 dollars a week for allowance. His family is very wealthy but Shadow is not spoiled at all, although his sister is a little spoiled. (Personally I hate it when spoiled is used to describe kids so I did interject that I really didn’t like kids being called spoiled.) His family likes to help others who are less fortunate. Shadow’s living with us right now because his mansion burned down.

When we go to the store Corbin helped get the food we needed and pick out snacks for the family. Getting to spend time with Corbin was fun because I got to watch him choose the food he wanted and I wasn’t torn between helping two kids make decisions. It means less stress and more fun and that’s always a boon.

A few weeks ago Jade was at a sleepover with a good friend of hers. The rest of us decided to get Chinese out. Corbin was very chatty with the waitress and restaurant owner as well as quite adventurous with the food. He got some time to shine with both Mom and Dad. I know I enjoyed the time just the three of us and look forward to the time I can do the same with Jade.

This week is Jade’s turn to go shopping I wonder if she will go with me or with Dad. What we will talk about? Whatever it is, I’m looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment