Thursday, December 13, 2007

Spiral Shawl

Spiral Shawl

I started this one in April of last year. When the heat hit it went away. It's much to hot here in Kansas to crochet with alpaca. I'm so glad this is done now as it's keeping me very warm while I hangout in our cold energy conserving house.

Specs:
  • Frog tree alpaca - 13 skeins - eep! In purple/lavender
  • crochet hook 3.5mm
  • Patchwork Shawl from Mon Tricot Knit & Crochet The Knitters' Basic Book Vol2. I'm pretty sure its also the Carnival Shawl that's in a Rowan pattern book. I lucked out and found the Mon Tricot mag at the thrift store a few weeks after someone shared her finished shawl on crochetville.
Other free options for the pattern:
  • I found this shawl pattern here that has a similar motif but done bigger but it could be adapted.
  • Another free option here that would also work.

Another view just before I added the fringe which shows how hard it is to get good color photos especially with purple. The one below gives better feel for just how beautiful this fiber is but the one above gives a bit better idea that this really is purple rather than blue.

Spiral Shawl

Someday I'll make this again without the fringe. Fringe is fun but it gets in the way.

8 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous! I've seen the pattern around and am sorely tempted, but the thought of anything with motifs scares me away! Will the shawl work with no fringe? How would you finish it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I so thought that was knit but to find out that it was crochet...imagine my surprise! This is a loverly crocheted shawl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it difficult?? Now before you answer, keep in mind I am an intermediate crocheter at best! LOL

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think it's difficult at all. I consider myself a fairly experienced and adventurous crocheter. When I was learning the motif I placed scrap piece of yarn at each round to keep my place. Eventually I didn't need that anymore as the pattern was more obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your shawl is beautiful. Is there anyways that you can post the patter for the motif, or email it to me. I would love to make one for myself. My email is jehanattal@hotmail.com
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello,

    I have not made the shawl yet. On my Blog is a photo of how it SHOULD look. Due to copyright laws, reproducing copyrighted information is against the law. However, I can share information re. the book that the pattern is listed in. I'll e-mail it to you hopefully before I forget.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As Indigo skye said emailing patterns is in violation of copyright laws. When I get a chance I will edit my post with a pattern somewhat similar I came across on line.

    ReplyDelete