Monday, April 26, 2010

Knitting and Crochet Blog Week, Day 1

Since I have been at a loss for something to say. Since a local knitter shared on her blog about the Knit and Crochet Week. I thought I would participate too.

How and when did you begin knitting/crocheting?

I learned to crochet when I was 10 years old or maybe younger. I have always known how to double and single crochet. For some reason I never did anything with it as a child or young adult, not even a granny square. Then in 2001 I brushed up on my skills again and just had a blast with my hook.

I fell in love with doilies:
Hazelnut Doily


And Amigurumi:
Amineko

I kind of miss these guys. Then I learned to sort of spin then got sidetracked with knitting. I made this:
Gryfindor Scarf

Was it a skill passed down through generations of your family, or something you learned from Knitting For Dummies?

My dad crochets and my mom did do lots of crafts. I brought Mom back in to the knitting fold. She's kind of a crazy sock lady although she will deny it now that she is more into sweaters. I don't know who taught me how to crochet but it had to have been my Mom or Dad. I had to relearn the basic for crochet and how to read a pattern but I fumbled through.

I really like to learn from videos so NexStitch crochet videos were my friend when I was learning to knit it was KnittingHelp.com.

What or who made you pick up the needles/hook for the first time? Was it the celebrity knitting ‘trend’ or your great aunt Hilda?
I had been looking for a hobbies that I could make some functional and beautiful things and some times some fun things. The fact that it's popular was kind of bonus. Not so much that I wanted to join the crowd but that there are so many cool things for me to make I will never be bored again. (The being bored thing is not entirely true though. I still get bored but I really shouldn't because there are so many cool things to make)

knitcroblo1

No comments:

Post a Comment