Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Chick Pea Potato Salad

I made Chick Pea Potato Salad for dinner tonight but instead of using a basic potato I used purple potatoes and sweet potatoes. The sweet potatoes gave the salad more flavor and made it purdy too especially topped with some local greens and green onions. The original recipe called for red peppers too but alas I did not have any.

IMG_1085.JPG

Cooked Chick Peas- you can use canned but I used some I cooked in my pressure cooker - you'll want 1/4 or so per serving (If you are interested in cooking your beans in a pressure cooker: Check out this link here and this one here for cooking times for various beans. )

2-3 medium size sweet potatoes cubed
3-4 small purple potatoes cubed
handful of ground cumin and a few pinches of salt
3-4 T olive oil

Optional toppings
green onions
red peppers
salad greens

Tamari Mustard Dressing - I usually double this when I make it:
3T Olive Oil
2T rice vinegar (I like using red wine vinegar too)
1t mustard (I use dijon)
1t tamari
1/2t sugar ( I like to use honey and use more than this recipe recommneds)

Preheat oven 400 deg F

Heat a skillet then add olive oil. Add the potatoes both sweet and purple. Saute then add the cumin and mix, sprinkle with salt. Cook a for another minute stirring to mix the cumin on the potatoes. Transfer to a baking sheet and place in the oven for 20 minutes or until cooked through.

Place some of the potatoes on the bottom of a bowl, top with 1/4 cup or so of chick peas, chopped green onions, red peppers, salad greens, crushed corn chips, and dressing.

Pour a nice glass of red wine if you want. I had some Yellow Tail Shiraz from down under. Then sit down for a lovely treat if I do say so myself.

Edited to add some info about pressure cooking beans see above.

1 comment:

  1. Samantha, could you give instructions for cooking the beans in the pressure cooker? Thanks! --Shelley

    ReplyDelete