Saturday, January 31, 2009

Whey? Yes, Whey!

I used the leftover whey from making mozzarella cheese in place of the 3 cups water. Actually I used 3.5 cups whey because I find if I don't my light wheat dough is too dry since I like to use 2.5 whole wheat instead of the 1 cup suggested. I started the dough late in the evening so I put it in the fridge to rise.

It rose in the fridge just fine.
IMG_1100.JPG


Voila! Light Wheat Whey Bread with some Homemade Mozzarella Cheese. Yum!
IMG_1128.JPG
You can make your very own homemade cheese too just go here and order one of the kits. You know you want to. I splurged and bought the dvd/book/mozzarella kit but kind of wish I hadn't.

But then again the book does have some recipes for making ricotta and cream cheese which I do think I will make. I'm in no hurry to make cheddar cheese which is a bit time intensive, especially when I can get some really good locally made cheese.

2 comments:

  1. Your bread is beautiful! Interesting adaptation, using the leftover liquid from mozzarella making. Does it affect the flavor of the bread?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it tastes a bit more sweet and the bread seems to be browning more than when I use waster.

    ReplyDelete