Friday, January 30, 2009

Very Creamy Potato Cheese Soup

(adapted from New Recipes from Moosewood)

Lunch 18, 2009

Makes one dinners worth and depending on the size of you family several bowls for lunch. In my family the first time I make this in the winter it disappears that evening. The secret ingredient for this is the cream cheese.

6 or more T butter
3 onions chopped
3-4 or more! garlic cloves minced or pressed
6-8 large potatoes coarsely chopped
2 large carrots peeled a coarsely chopped
5-6 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock
(I use better than bullion veggie or chicken bullion but I also make my own stock in the morning if I have the veggies on hand to do it)*
2 ts dried dill (4 T of fresh dill)
8 ounce cream cheese
3 cups milk give or take
1 cup grate sharp cheese
salt and pepper to taste

In a large soup pot sauté the onions in butter until the onions are soft. Add the garlic and sauté for a bit more then add the potatoes and carrots and sauté for 5-10 minutes. Add the dill and sauté. Then add the stock water. Simmer until all the veggies are tender.

Puree the veggies with the cream cheese and milk. I use a hand blender right in the pot. You can use a food processor or a blender. Return the soup to heat and add the cheddar cheese.

Sometimes I cook up some bacon or ham to sprinkle on top. Topping it with fresh steamed veggies is probably healthier but not always as tasty. Serve it up with some yummy bread and dig into a carborific meal!

*Check back later for how I make my own stock. When I use the Better than Bullion I don't use the proportions suggested on the jar. I do about 3t to the 5-6 cups of water suggested. Overall I like the chicken bullion better for this than the veggie bullion. If I want a veggie base I prefer to use my own stock.


No comments:

Post a Comment