Friday, February 24, 2006

Cemeteries in Europe

I found cemeteries in Europe fascinating. In Denmark they were more like mini-gardens. I liked to stroll through them when wandering the streets in Copenhagen.




This burial plot was in a cemetery very near where I lived. Some of my classmates that lived in my Kolegium (Danish Dorms) had a picnic lunch in the lawn area just behind this grave site. Many of the gravestones had little bird figurines that looked like sparrows. I asked a few of my Danish friends but they didn't know what I was talking about. The sparrow figurines seemed common so there has to be some reason or significance to them but I still don't know what it is.



Here's kind of a bird's eye view of a cemetery in Jutland, Denmark. You can see all the mini-gardens.





At the Jewish Cemetery in Prague you would find little notes placed under stones. My guess they are well wishes/ notes to honor the dead.




The Jews in Prague were limited in where they could live so their cemetery was very crowded I found the stones so close disturbing and touching.







A Cemetery in Italy next to the Santa Croce Church. As I have been googling facts to remind myself about the places I visited Europe. I found that there are a famous artists buried here that we never found or I forgot to take pictures.


A visit to Pere-Lachaise a visit to pay my respects to Jim Morrison:


No comments:

Post a Comment