Thursday, February 9, 2006

Life...Lots of Learning

I'm feeling a bit guilty that my last blog post was so long ago but I have been busy with my new love, crocheting. I've made myself a crocheted jacket and I just finished a sweater for friend's baby. I will post some pictures soon to my flicker account. Now, I am making some Celtic Cross squares to make a poncho for myself. Jade wants me to make sweaters for her dolls and baby blankets too.

I have also been doing lots of reading mostly slogging through Peaceful Parenting for a Peaceful World by Robin Grille. If you want an easy this is not it. Some parts are very difficult to read and quite disturbing. Yet it is filled with some amazing information and lots of research and out right support for breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby- wearing and working with your kids rather than using punitive discipline. So if you like detail this is it.

If you want and easier read try Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves by Naomi Aldort. I AM really enjoying her book. It has me reconnecting with my goal to be on my children's side, TRUST them, and know that their emotions are not them, that validating what they are feeling helps them not to learn to be better people but it helps them know who THEY ARE. Listening to my kids can be very hard for me sometimes because it physically hurts me when they hurt emotionally and I can tend toward wanting to fix it so the hurting stops for me. Aldort reminds me to separate my hurt from theirs and let them be.

Jade and I are reading together Just Ella a different take on the Cinderella story which has me thinking of the song by Suzy Boggus "Hey, Hey Cinderella what's the story all about? ....Does the shoe fit you now?" Jade has also been listening to Ella Enchanted another Cinderella story over and over again. Ella, in Ella Enchanted, has a curse that she has to do whatever anyone commands her to do, a curse of obedience. I wonder what Jade sees in this book. We are not raising our children with obedience.

Today, Jade and Corbin were talking about if we had more gravity on this planet they would weigh more. Which had me doing a little snoopy dance in my mind and wondering where the heck did they learn that?

Jade is in the kitchen right now making quesadillas herself and her brother. As she went in to the kitchen to make them she said, "I’ll make them, Corbin, you don't even have to lift a finger." Then Corbin preceded to life his finger in the living room while I was working on a pair of nun chucks Corbin asked me to help him make.

Corbin has been doing a lot with legos lately too. He likes to combine bionicle pieces with other lego sets. He also likes to take a part lego people and put them back together.

Now its' time help Jade Bake a cake and tonight I look forward to seeing the moms in my homeschool group, chat, and eat some good food.

No comments:

Post a Comment