The pattern suggested I end with a certain number of stitches which didn't make sense to me if I want the pattern to fit my feet.
The gauge required was 13sc/2inch which is about 6.5 sc/inch. I measured my foot just under the toes and got about 8.5inch around. So that got me about 55sc needed to fit my foot. I decided if I ended with 54 sc I would get a snug fit and the sock will stretch.
54sc is just about what I ended up with when I did the grafton fibers toe up sock. I also changed how I did the increases. I did increases w/o a sc in between them which I think makes a tighter fit.
I hope I'm right.