Monday, June 18, 2007

Keeping the House

No this is not a post about housework, but I have some thoughts on that as well. This is a book review. Remember when I told you that I won a pre-release book here? I didn't get the book I thought I would get, but I did get Keeping the House by Ellen Baker.

The story focuses on a house, the Mickelson House, that is said to be cursed. Dolly, newly married and new to the town of Pine Rapids, falls in love with the house. She falls in love with the family that lived there. We see the family through the eyes of their neighbors when Dolly asks questions about them and we see the family for themselves as the books goes back in forth in time. The story is about women's lives from early 1900's to 1950's. It's about the sheer boredom of your life only being housework and dinner. It's about relationships, intimacy, war, and death. The author covers it all and does it well. I enjoyed the read.

No comments:

Post a Comment