Sunday, March 2, 2008

Sunday Book Review: The Great Influenza: The Great Influenza: The story of the deadliest pandemic in history

The Great Influenza: The Great Influenza: The story of the deadliest pandemic in history written by John Barry and read by Scott Brick.

I finished this audio book some time last year. It seems odd to say I enjoyed it, considering the topic. I learned quite a bit about bits and pieces of US history. Apparently during WW1 the president, Woodrow Wilson, was able control quite a bit about what got to the press. When he finally decided the US would enter the war he made sure only positive things got the press. Things went so far as you couldn't sing sad loves songs so men wouldn't miss their wives or girl friends. Newspaper's adherence to this mandate led to much misinformation about the pandemic.

I'm also feeling a bit conflicted about vaccines. We have not vaccinated our children for most things. Now I am reconsidering this. Although I don't think my kids or even myself need the flu shot as a matter of course. It does disturb me if we have another pandemic there is not enough flu shots to go around when I would want it. Apparently more that half of the flu virus serum is made in other countries. The places it can be made in the US cannot at this time make enough to help if we have another pandemic.

So I find myself a bit more aware about disease and a bit nervous too. I still recommend it the book if only for the bits and pieces of history dispersed throughout.

1 comment:

  1. Folks in San Diego have been upset about the measles outbreak (about a dozen cases in the last month). DH is now very nervous and pressuring me to get DD the MMR.

    ReplyDelete