Sunday, March 9, 2008

Sunday Book Review: A Thousand Splendid Suns

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini is about war torn Afghanistan from the 1970's when it was occupied by Soviet Union all the way to current times. Showing the destruction along the the way through two women who lives become intertwined.

It's the kind of book I read and think how damn lucky I am to live where I do. Yes, we had a terrible tragedy hit the US. I still think the US is so safe in comparison. I can as a woman walk down the street with out fear that I will be beaten because I'm not wearing a burqa or that I am walking alone. I can be whatever I want to be. I can can get more education if I want it. My daughter also has that freedom.

It had me reconsidering our involvement in the Middle East. For the most part, I feel we need to get out. Yet when I think of the atrocities that happen there and that some of what we have done there has brought some stability. I'm not so sure. Because if anything is true to the story I just read if we leave, the fundamentalists will again take over and make things worse rather than better.

I highly recommend reading it or listening to the audio book narrated by Atossa Leoni whose voice was compelling. I warn you it's raw. There is good stuff in it because it is about people and there lives but there is death and destruction. It's war. There is love too.

No comments:

Post a Comment