This cold weather has me more excited to work on this afghan. So over the last few days I've slip stitched the last of the squares together and added the border too. Most of the ends have been woven in save a few stragglers. I hate weaving in ends.
Almost done here, just one more panel to add.
Here is all finished, all 5'4"x 3'6" of it.
I'm used the Supernova 12inch square designed by Chris Simon. You can get the pattern here. Some of the blocks are much larger than the others. Hence the waviness of the border. It was was lesson in gauge and keeping track of the correct hook. I used an H hook for most blocks but might have used a J hook too. I made it with Caron Simply Soft in Raspberry but I didn't keep track of how much I used.
I slip stitched the squares together. I really like how that turned out and framed the each square.
I had grand ideas for the border but gave up on them after the first round. So the border is a simple mesh pattern with a single crochet to finished off. Overall I am pleased with it despite it's failings. It is my very first afghan after all. Despite it's less than perfect nature, it will keep me and the kids warm snuggling on the couch to read or watch movies.