Wednesday, November 1, 2006

Apple Phyllo Turnover - NaBloPoMo#1

I've wanted to share recipes on this blog for a while and got incentive after reading one of my favorite crochet blogs. Melissa from too many hooks wanted a healthy dessert made with apples. After writing up the recipe I am not sure it falls in that category because I like butter and cream too much. I kind of think the butter is mandatory but I guess you could not top it with whip cream but I kind of think it's sacrilege.

Apple Phyllo Turnover
4 servings

This is the easiest thing to make and especially when the phyllo pastry dough doesn't fall a part on you. Even when it does it still will wow your friends and family especially topped with homemade whip cream and served with some fresh coffee.

Phyllo Dough - I get pre-made stuff at my local natural food store -
Make sure you follow the instructions on the box for thawing before you start.

1/2 a stick to a stick of butter- I am not sure how much I use but I know I like butter.

pastry brush

4 cooking apples thinly sliced more or less

I like to use Braeburns but Granny Smiths or Gravenstiens would be good too

2 table spoons sugar

a pinch of cinnamon or more to taste - I like cinnamon but I think a little goes a long way.


Pre-heat oven to 350deg F cook for about 20min or so.

Mix the apples in a bowl with the sugar and cinnamon then set aside

melt butter on stove or in the microwave

Find your pastry brush and a cookie sheet.

Putting it all together

Fillo pastry is like tissue paper but more fragile. Sometimes the dough comes out perfect and sometimes it falls a part in pieces.

The basic principle is lay a piece of phyllo dough down on the cookie sheen then brush it with butter. Then lay another piece of phyllo down and brush it butter. Repeat this about 4 more time for 6 layers.

Do not fret if you get pieces, it will still work. All you need to do is think over lapping layers and it will be fine! Although it won't look as pretty if the phyllo stays all in one piece it will still taste good. Because how can it not if you are eating hot apples in a buttery crust with homemade whipped topping!

Pretend you are making a burrito. Place the apples on in the center of the layers leaving about 2inch of phyllo on each side. Fold the sides over. Then fold one long edge over the apple filling then roll it up like a log, place the "seam" down.

Then brush more butter on it (Yes, more butter!). Take a knife and cut little slits evenly along the log. I do about 3 slits which lines up perfectly when I cut servings.

Place in the oven to cook for about 20 minutes or so. Keep an eye on this as I have not made this in a while and I could be wrong about the cook time. Check with a fork for doneness.

While it cooks brew a fresh pot of coffee and make the whip cream. I will assume if you drink coffee you know how to make that. Please enjoy my homemade whip cream recipe below:

The Fiber Star's Homemade Whip Cream:

2 pints heavy whipping cream - This will give you plenty to heap on your slice of turnover and add to your coffee with plenty left over for your coffee the next day. Your family might be able to get by with less.

a few table spoons of honey to sweeten it - To be honest I just eyeball it so I can give you an exact mount . My goal is to not make the whip cream sweet but give it a touch of sweetness

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Whip ( whip it good) in a mixer or by hand depending on how concerned you are with you calorie intake that day. I use my kitchen aid mixer no matter what.

So now your apple turnover is about done. Remove it from the oven and let cool a little bit if you can wait that long. I usually don't.

Place a slice on your plate, top with whip cream, pour yourself a cup of coffee and top with the whip cream as well. Then eat up.

Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment